Monday, March 24, 2008

A little more from Boston

Well, I finally made it home. I wasn't sure if we were going to make it because just as the plane was revving up it's engines and started it's take off run, it turned its engines down and turned off the runway. O.o The pilot came on and said that they saw some thing go off related to the power and wanted to check it out. A few minutes later we taxi'd back to the runway and away we went. Needless to say, I was a little bit worried, but we made it here with no incident.

Last night's performance by Matthew Good we pretty good. After seeing him perform 2 weeks ago in SF, I can see that his illness has taken a bit of a toll on him. He started out sounding a bit rough around the edges but his voice smoothed out after the first couple songs. Aside from a couple of near misses in a line or two, he performed pretty well under the circumstances. Despite how he may have felt that evening, he gave it his all. The crowd wasn't bad considering it was mostly a college crowd. You had a few "older" folk like myself at the show. There was one girl somewhere not far behind me who was a bit loud and probably inebriated. I think it was during "Strange Days" that she blurted out quite audibly "Is that his new stuff?" O.o I think I bunch of us turned and glared at her for being a bit boisterous. Finally, at some point, someone told her to STFU. Aside from that the crowd wasn't bad. You had your usual shout outs and lame attempts at witty remarks, but overall it was a decent crowd.

Matt was gracious enough to meet some of the fans to hung around after the show. I know he didn't have to if he wasn't up to it, but being the trooper that he was and not wanting to disappoint folks, he did meet with us. He wasn't quite his jovial self that he was 2 weeks ago, but he was very polite in meeting people and obliging in signing things and having his picture taken with fans. I didn't need to have another photo of me and Matt, but I took one of Matt and Mike. Mike was very happy to see Matt perform in the Boston area, since one never knows when Matt might swing by this neck of the woods again.

All in all, it was an entertaining evening. Matt did his best and I don't think he really disappointed many people. His banter was a bit on the light side but he even admitted he was not his usual witty self. NLX who opened for Matt, did a great job and performed quite well. I will have to check out her albums. They were also selling limited editions of a silk-screened poster promoting the Cambridge, NYC and Philly dates of the tour. I picked one up and Matt signed it.

I think bro and I got home around 1AM. Bro had to get up at 6 for work. I felt a little guilty but he said he had a good time. I feel bad that Minessa couldn't have gone to the show. Who knew that frozen fish bit? Anyway, one day she will get to see Matt perform.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of videos I took when bro and I drove into town on Saturday. :)


No comments: