Thursday, February 13, 2003


Managers
I am not a manager myself, but I have gone through a number of them in my time. This is not as a result of my changing jobs. This is as a result of numerous re-orgs, re-structuring and managers moving into other areas. I've had different types of managers, some were great, some ineffective, and some who love meetings.

Today, I found that a colleague's manager is just NOT a very good people person. And on top of that, this manager does not seem to act very professionally. He basically tells this colleague that he was lying about the hours he was reporting on an activity based on heresay from another party. Now, what gets me is that this manager just inherited some people into his group about 2 weeks ago. Did he have any idea what these people were working on? Did he make any effort to at least talk to each of the "new" people to see what they were working on and what they're responsibilties are. During the bit of turmoil we had at my home office, my then manager at some point acquired one whole group. This brought his section to over 50 people. But he managed to make time to at least meet with each and every individual to see what they were working on and what concerns they might have with all that was going on. This other manager, on the other hand, not only tells my colleague that he was lying about his hours but he was also telling him that he was losing his job in April. Like DUH, I think just about everyone at this location knows that. So why bother to state the obvious? Was this a scare tactic? In any case, this was very unprofessional, in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my beef on that subject.

Texas Update
Well, it seems that the weather has decided to get wet today. Not a big deal. At least the temps are on the mild side. I think it's more or less been in the 50-60F range. Been working hard to cover as much stuff as possible at work. I am really hoping that I can sufficiently cover what I need to cover by the end of next week. The only glitch has to do with this other thing that just kind of came up during a meeting on Tuesday. I'm not exactly sure what they want me to do, but I'm hoping to read up on some stuff I printed. Maybe I can at least get some idea of the material. I would like to at least try to do some homework on a subject first if possible.

Anyway, I think that's enough babbling for today.

No comments: