Saturday, February 01, 2003


Let's try another font. I like fonts.

Well, what seemed like a routine machine became tragedy. I was just zapping through the channels this afternoon when I came across a CNN newsfeed on WGN. I found that unusual so I watched it for a little while. At first, I wasn't sure what they were talking about exactly other than that it was related to the space shuttle. Then it dawned at me that something very terrible had happened. It seems that something had gone horribly wrong as the shuttle was making their way back to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The shuttle and its crew are lost.

It's rather difficult to believe that such a thing can still happen after the Challenger disaster, but one has to bear in mind that space travel and exploration is still in its infancy (relatively speaking). Anyone who wants to become an astronaut and be a part of space history should realize what the risks are. Haven't we all seen enough science fiction television and movies to realize that things do happen? I think that overall we have been relatively fortunate in the number of tragic accidents since the induction of the space program. I don't know if it has ever been publicized, but I would imagine that even the Soviet space program had its ups and downs as well, we just don't know about them.

In any case, I feel that after such an event, we should still move forward. The loss of such fine astronauts is terrible, but they knew the risks. And it's been mentioned that since shuttle missions have become routine that people don't even know or even pay attention to who the crew is. I think in some way this is a tragedy in itself.

Well, in other news... Finally, there is a break in the weather. The temperature here has finally risen to more bearable levels! It was warm enough that there was some melting snow happening! Also, tonight, we took a walk around the neighborhood after dinner. I missed doing that when the weather was just too cold.

Anyhooo.....

No comments: