Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Civic Duty

And so, on January 23rd, I performed my civic duty as a Canadian citizen and cast my vote. The candidates were ery difficult to decide on as it seems that each at least the major ones) had some issues that bothered me. Nevertheless, I went to the polling station right after work. This may have been a mistake as I hit the the post-work and dinner-time rush of voters. In all, I think I stood in line for at least an hour just so I can cast my vote.

Whom did I vote for? That will remain private information. As the major candidates weren't too appealing, I decided to make my choice based on which of them were considered the "lesser of the evils". Perhaps not the best way to decide, but then again, better to vote than not to.

I have not yet checked the news to see what the outcome was. I suspect that it would end up being a minority government again with the Conservatives in charge. The opposition will most likely be led by the Liberals.

I've never really been big on politics. In recent elections, both in the US and Canada, I have yet to see any truly innovative, intelligent or exciting candidates. None seem to have that spark that would inspire citizens to rally to their side and give them full support on decisions made. For example, I found on one website the approvals ratings of the US Presidents. Clinton had the highest approval rating at something like 65%. George Dubyah was somewhere around 43%. What does that say to you?

No comments: