Monday, January 30, 2006

Happy Chinese New Year!

Okay, so I'm a day late. :-)

Yesterday was Chinese New Year. It's the year of the dog. Since I was born and raised in North America, any traditions I've learned or picked up, I did so from my Mom. Thanks, Mom! :-)

On Saturday, for New Year's Eve dinner, I planned a hot pot dinner and invited a few friends over to enjoy a nice meal. The previous week I had picked up a shabu-shabu pot that I figure would do the trip for such hot pot meals! However, it wasn't realized until we put the pot to use that there were certain limitations...

We were using a burner normally used for fondue. As a result, the flame from this burner was aimed in one area. Unfortunately, this area happened to be the middle of the pot. This resulted in a sort of chimney/volcano effect. Needless to say, the broth in the pot did not get hot enough to cook the foods quickly.

Solution? We brought out a regular saucepan large enough to hold the broth and accomodate all diners. Soon enough, the broth was simmering away and we were eating like kings!

Ingredients used for this hot pot: thin slices of beef, tofu cut into cubes, napa cabbage, shrimp, pork shaped into balls, snow peas, and mushrooms. As a side, I prepared some gyoza (frozen pre-cooked) and some lo bock gow (made from scratch!). Wash it all down with your choice of beverage! :-)

Afterwards, we had green tea ice cream and some cake that one of our guests brought. All in all, it was quite filling and satisfying. :-)

Okay... Note to self.. Never write or talk about food just before dinner...

No comments: