Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's 4:53AM

I think I have a few hangups and anxieties I need to address at some point. One of these is that I have as of late developed a dislike for very windy weather. I have no idea where the anxiety over this kind of weather developed. It's never really bothered me much before. Take yesterday for example. Almost as soon as I have found out that the weather today will involved wind gusts of up to 80 kph, I started to feel anxious. Of course this feeling of anxiety does not help my blood pressure. I had to consciously breathe deeply to try to calm my racing heart. I did a quick check of my BP yesterday before I took a very short nap before going to my cardio workout. I was sitting around 126/80. Not terribly high.

Anyway...

Recently, there's been some drama in the area. One of the guys I know at work who lives in the neighborhood with his wife attempted to take his own life by downing a handful of pills. Now, there's a bit more to this than a suicide attempt. Apparently, things have been building up in recent months (maybe in the past year even). I know that hes been hinting at divorce for a while. Why he hadn't gone through with it, I don't know. I think there are also some factors involved in this whole episode that might have led to this as well. Bottom line, things just came to a head and got ugly late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

Apparently, there had been times when he got pretty violent and punched holes in the walls of the apartment. He even broke an ironing board in half and used a piece of the metal to try to hurt himself. More recently, he killed their pet turtle and said something to his wife to the effect that she was next.

So after he took the pills, his wife called 911. He was taken to the hospital. I think the police stayed with her for a while. The police car was still in front of their building when I went to my cardio class Saturday morning. I spoke to a friend who's friends with the wife and had been in touch with her. The wife will be staying with friends. A restraining order has been issued against the husband. When the husband is discharged from the hospital, he will be charged with domestic assault.

So why am I writing all this? I just want to get it off my chest I guess. I don't think anyone from work knows I have this blog. If they did, they'd think I was a major head case for some of the things I've babbled on about. I guess another reason I wanted to write this is to also point out the fact that the husband is not a big brute. On the contrary. He's about my height and size. He's not a big guy at all. Some might even consider him slight. I guess this is to dis-spell any image that violent men tend to be these big, ugly ape of a man.

A factor that I think is involved in all this is the fact that the husband's family never took to his wife. He's of Ukrainian descent. She's Mexican. His late father mistreated her one time by grabbing both her arms and shaking her. He left bruises on her arms. The husband does not show any backbone. Why didn't he defend his wife? Since his father's death last year, I think his mother may have been harping on him still about his wife. I believe that this is part of what's been building up.

Anyway, it does leave me with some questions as to why he did what he did to end up in this situation...

I think I'll go shower now and get an early start to the day.

It's now 5:13AM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No matter what the relationship, when these things hit close to home, it makes us think. Talk to me tomorrow and I'll tell you mine. :) You may have to remind me, you know how absentminded I get. ;)