Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thursday

I ended up sleeping with my iPod on. I slept with the earbuds in my ears. Surprisingly I did manage to fall asleep towards the end of the Snow Patrol album. At some point during the night I woke up listening to some Damien Rice. Since it was only 3:30AM, I went back to sleep. Since the winds had died down at that point, I took the earbuds out.

What is this world coming to? In the past 24 hours, there have been reports of some child deaths or abandonment. The saddest was the case of two little girls in a First Nations community in Saskatchewan. It's huge tragedy for a small community.

Next there is the case of an 8-month old left in a cold stairwell of a shopping plaza near Toronto. From the description given of the child, the poor thing might have been beaten and left to die in the cold. Thankfully, some passersby heard her cries and got help.

There was also the case of 2 kids left in the car seats for over an hour in Calgary. The region is currently suffering from severe cold and windchill. The mother came back to the vehicle after having taken a 3rd child to the doctors. I mean, WTF? Why did she leave the other 2 kids in the car, unattended, in extremely cold weather?

I don't think it's unusual to hear about stuff like this during the winter months. What I find unusual is how many stories just popped up in such a short time span. The weather across the country in recent days has been pretty bad. An ice storm has knocked power out to half of PEI. The weather front that swept through this region brought high winds and plummeting temperatures. We're expecting almost a foot of snow tomorrow. :-p

Is Spring here yet?

No comments: