Friday, July 18, 2008

Almost the weekend

Well, the end of week two is nearly there.

To some degree the trip moves along more quickly when you get into a routine. In this case, the daily routine is to get up, get some breakfast, go to the customer site, work for about 9 hours, head back to the hotel and have some dinner. I suppose that working in a closed, windowless environment distracts you from the distraction of staring out of a window. On the flip side, I get to listen to the constant and monotonous hum of fans and machines around me all day long. The only reprieve I get is when we head out for lunch.

Even lunch has become more or less a routine. We have the driver pick us up at about 1PM. He drops us off at the nearby mall. We go to the food court where we have our pick of some of America's finest. We eat and then take a walk around the mall to digest, then we go back to the drop-off/pick-up area. Then, it's back to the site for another 4 hours of sheer fun!

This weekend, maybe we'll look into booking some sort of tour for Saturday. It seems that this task has fallen on yours truly. It seems that with the smattering of Spanish I do know or have picked up along the way, I am the lead communicator of this little quartet. *sigh*

I think it helps in any foreign country that it's beneficial to at least try to pick up a few key words and phrases of the local language. The locals will definitely be more obliging if they see that you are trying to make an effort to speak their language. I really don't know that much Spanish, but the others think I do. I just use the principle of association to learn what some words are what they mean. It's rather simple if you think about it. And since I do know some French, that helps a bit too.

Anyway, aside from possibly taking a tour this weekend, we might have to spend a few hours Sunday night doing some work. It's when there is the least amount of traffic so that we might be able to execute some test cases.

Hmm.. Maybe I should go to bed soon... *yawn*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the new routine I adopted living at your place...routines are good AND bad, depending on how well we are able to get away from them when time comes...I hope you have lots of fun over the next weekend!

Love