Sunday, July 27, 2008

Christian Missionaries in Central America

I originally posted this on a forum somewhere but I figure I'd post it here as well.

Something I've observed in my time here are the Christian Missionaries that traipse through this hotel. More notably, this huge group that checked in a few days ago.

Now, I have nothing against religious organizations that are out to help/improve the lives of the less fortunate. What I have a problem with is what they're actually doing or not doing.

I did a Google on Christian Missionaries. After taking a look at a random few, it seems that for the most part they are raising money to either help a small village or help a child get an education that they otherwise would not be able to. In such cases, I find that commendable.

Now back to this group...

I'd say that this group numbered somewhere close to 50. I didn't bother to actually count how many there were, but they did take up most of the seats in the hotel restaurant.

I wonder what their purpose was in Honduras. Most of them wore matching t-shirts that have slogans such as "Leaving a Legacy" or "God loves you". From the looks of some of the participants, I don't think they're out to build churches, schools or wells. It didn't look like they brought with them needed supplies or clothing. They did, however, bring a guitar (or two) and colored chalk!

It makes me wonder what they're really doing here. Are they visiting different villages? Are they singing and playing with the kids? What sort of legacy are they really leaving behind? At the end of the day, they come back to the comforts of this big hotel. They don't look at all too weary, wearing their shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. They sport a rustic wooden cross around their necks while at the same time don their diamond rings or nice watches.

Bottom line is that I see this group as being a bunch of hypocrites. Just how are they helping the people of Honduras? A colleague commented that this is a "feel good" trip. And I agree. They're not really on a mission. They're really on a vacation under the premise that they're doing something good. They come back from making a child laugh and smile for one day to a comfortable hotel with air conditioning and an all-you-can-eat dinner buffet.

Anyway.. I guess this is a bit of rant, but it does bother me.

No comments: