Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Not quite halfway

It hasn't been halfway through this trip and I am already looking forward to going home. Even though I like to travel, traveling for work is a whole other ball game. It starts to get a bit monotonous and depressing when every weekday you come back from work to the same hotel room. After being cooped up in an enclosed environment for approximately 8-9 hours breathing air-conditioned air and listening to the monotonous hum of the fans and machines around you, you tend to feel rather exhausted by the end of the day.

Another thing I don't like about this kind of travel is the diet. The hotel breakfast is fine, but there's an easy tendency to overeat if you're not careful. After more than a week of having eggs and hash browns for breakfast I am going to in a way cut back and just have a bowl of cereal and fruit. I have been having fruit all along, but I think the eggs and hash browns kinda cancel that out. At lunch, we've been going to the nearby mall where there is a food court full of your American standards like Sbarro, Subway, Pizza Hut and Quiznos. It will be more of a challenge here to find something more healthy. I think I will just keep an eye on portion sizes. Dinner might be more tricky as we rarely go out for dinner. The tendency has been to grab either a beer and a light meal in the bar or go to the restaurant where there is your choice of buffet or something from their menu. Again, I just need to choose wisely.

All in all, it's the little things I miss. I miss having the cats around, if you can believe that. I miss the simple task of walking out to the mailbox to get my mail. I miss staring at my front yard wondering what to do with the weed infested grass. I know I will miss the blooming of some flowers in the front yard. I will basically miss most of summer in Montreal. I've already missed most of the Jazz Festival and the Fantasia Film Festival.

I also miss hanging out with friends. I miss talking about things to do. There's a couple of things I want to do in August. I am going to try to make sure I get to do them with my friends. I miss my friends. I miss discussing with Melissa what to do with my house as far as painting goes. It will get done one day! Maybe I should just let her do what she wants with the loft space. Surprise me! :-) But I am already asking a lot of her.

Anyway... Yeah, I'm mildly bummed about being away from home this long. I was barely home a week before flying down here to Honduras. And now they want us to go to El Salvador almost as soon as we get back. Sheesh! Give me a chance to breathe!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Montreal misses you too Eva!