Friday, November 22, 2002

Wacky, wacky Weather
First it snows (Monday). Then it rains (today). Next, it's suppose to snow again. Has Mother Nature gone schitzophrenic on us? But then again, I suppose that this is typical autumn/pre-winter weather. I guess I just got so used to the nice summer weather this year that I am still in some sort of sub-conscious denial. But, whatcha gonna do?

Other stuff
Thanksgiving in the US is next week. I don't even remember the last time I have gone home for Thanksgiving. Maybe next year. We'll see. I mean, there is Thanksgiving here in Canada, but it's just not quite the same here, especially in Quebec. Sure, we get a day off, but it's on a Monday. Sure, we can have turkey with all the trimmings, but the weather outside is still a bit balmy.

Oh the weather out there is frightful... And so are the drivers!

Current Rant
OK, so several topics have been running around my head this past week so I will just pick one: Right on Red.

This is a subject that has been debated upon for some time now here in Quebec. Earlier this year they decided to trial this in some parts of Quebec (except for the major urban areas like Montreal). In general, everything seems OK. There doesn't seem to be a significant change in number of accidents. So now it seems that they will make it legal to turn right on red in the province. HOWEVER, in Montreal, it would be up to the local government here to decide if they want to institute the right-on-red policy. So far, there have been hearings and discussions about it. It seems that the general consensus here is NO. No right-on-red on the island of Montreal. If you think about it, it's probably for the best. I have been here long enough to see just how bad the drivers are around here. Hell, I was a victim of it last year!

Story
Last year around this time, I had just had my winters put on and my car waxed and buffed and ready for winter. So there I was heading into work as usual. I came to light at an intersection close to work. The light was red. When the light turned green, I started to enter the intersection. Then all of a sudden, I see this white car bearing down on me from the other street! *CRUNCH* He nails me on the front passenger side. I was in shock. I managed to get out of the car. I tried to remain calm and collected. I asked the guy what the hell he was doing! Do you know what his response was??? "The light was yellow, so I sped up." WHAT THE #$*(&*????? What the hell do you mean you sped up??? Were you a whole fricking block away when you sped up???? I was just absolutely flabbergasted! (BTW, I did not use those expletives at the time, but the comments were running around my head). Anyway, I went ahead and took out the form we would need to fill out for insurance purposes. I dont think this guy has ever seen one of these forms, so he was clueless and I had to tell him what he needed to fill out. Afterwards, I managed to drive the car into the garage at work. Then I called my insurance company to tell them about the accident and faxed them the form. Next, I took the car to a body shop nearby that was recommended by my dealer (it was only a block or so away from work). As my insurance covers for loss of use, I set up for a rental. I ended up with a gold-colored Toyota Echo (ick!).

Later on, I hear back from my insurance guy about when the estimate was going to be done. Also, he checked with the other guy's insurance company and it seems that he never filed his copy of the report. I guess that means he didnt want to claim anything to have his car fixed. It also indicates that he was at fault. Anyway, my care was the more damaged of the two.

Anyhoo.. After about a week, I finally get my baby back. All in one piece! Since then I have been somewhat more leary about crossing intersections after the light changes. Oh well.


No comments: