Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Constantly working at doing something

Well, I went ahead and did it again. I registered for more classes. Now hang on a second! This is not yet another classroom type of class! I decided to take the plunge and enroll in one of the online certificate programs at O'Reilly. I decided to go for the Linux/Unix System Administration Certificate Series. It looks like something I can handle. Plus it's something that I am interested in.

There's about 19 lessons to complete in the first course. I've already finished 3 of them and taken 2 quizzes. It's not that bad. The way it's designed, you learn by doing and trying things out repeatedly. I think for some people, this is the best way to learn. I know that I would probably go out of my mind if I sat through another theoretical technical course. I found that the classes where you had exercises to do during the class were more helpful than the ones where you just listened to a lecture.

Other than that, I've been pretty busy at work with some testing. I think that I have been concentrating on getting the testing done that I am somewhat mentally drained and exhausted. I need a really good solid night's sleep to recover.

In the meantime, I went ahead and planned the next social gathering. I figure on doing an 80's movie night. I'm thinking of making some ribs in the slow cooker. I'd have the folks bring drinks and dessert to round things out. :-) I hope enough people come. It'd be more fun that way.

No comments: