Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cake and Chicken

Ok, this is one reason to make a grocery list: I forgot to buy more poppy seeds. I made do with what I had left which was probably a very scant 1/4 cup. :-p I haven't had a slice yet, but I'll probably bring some with me to work.

The supermarket did not have any acceptable rib material so I bought a package of chicken breasts instead. They turned out pretty good with the blackening spice! Had that with some salad.

Menu for the rest of the week? Well, I decided to pick up a package of spinach with paneer. That would go well with some rice. Some italian sausage for the ol' pasta standby. Got some chicken thighs to make chicken madras with.

Here's a quick recipe for my standard pasta sauce. Perfect for bachelors (and bachelorettes) and people short on time!

1 pkg italian sausage, about 6 links (I prefer the spicy over sweet)
1 teaspoon of minced garlic (I use the small jars of the stuff for convenience)
1 red pepper, diced
1 8oz pgk of white button mushrooms, sliced
1 19oz can of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
Italian seasoning
Balsamic vinegar (optional)

Start by heating some olive oil (about a tablespoon) in a non-stick saucepan. Take the sausage meat out of its casing and break them up into the heated pan. As the sausage browns you can add the garlic and seasoning (about a tablespoon). When most of the sausage is cooked, add the mushrooms and saute for a few minutes. Add the can of diced tomatos and tomato sauce. Mix well. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar for extra flavor. Add the red peppers. Stir well. Lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, you can prepare your pasta. This type of chunky sauce is better with pasta like rotini or penne, but it's still good with regular spaghetti. :-)

Enjoy!

No comments: