Friday, February 23, 2007

End of Week 8, 2007

Yeah, I know. I haven't posted much this week. I guess I am starting to really feel the affects of juggling one too many things. I am currently taking 3 nights of classes a week. I have 3 more weeks of C++ and XML to endure. There are 5 more weeks of the camera class. And we just had our 2nd Mandarin class last night.

I think I have re-affirmed the fact that I am not much of a programmer. I can handle the easy stuff. But with the first assignment in C++, I have been totally frustrated. I can think about how I might be able to do small parts of the assignment, but I am having a heck of a time trying to get enough of these bits and pieces together. I think when it comes to actual code, I have only managed to draw out the game board (in ascii). I technically have almost 5 weeks to complete all my C++ assignments. The teacher has given us until 2 weeks after the last class to hand in our assignments. In a way it's a relief, but I have really got to make some progress.

In other areas... I've been pretty good about not shopping, except for food. I really need to curb my spending for a while. I've got my municiple tax bill to pay by the end of this month. I've also got my auto registration due at the end of the month as well. There's also the other usual bills that are nearing due. Again, it's not that I don't have the money, but I'd like to maintain some padding. My bi-weekly mortgage payments are only slightly higher than what they were before since I've renewed my mortgage term, so that shouldn't be a huge issue. I think the only other thing of real expense is if I decide to entertain either myself or friends.

Last weekend was Chinese New Year. Since I wasn't planning on visiting family this year, I spent it more or less alone at home. I did prepare for myself a nice Panko-breaded chicken breast for dinner on Saturday. On Sunday, I invited a couple I know over for dinner. I prepared the 3-cheese pasta bake from a Cooking Light recipe. To compensate the "healthy" pasta dish, I made the two-nuts chocolate torte for dessert. Everything turned out pretty good. My friends enjoyed the food. And I was a happy cook.

I had also invited another person to the Sunday dinner, but he couldn't make it. He was tied up with something else. On Monday, I had lunch with him and another person. He mentioned something about having to babysit. I guess it must have been for his sister. In any case, he apologized for not being able to make it.

This past week has been somewhat uneventful. The days just seem to run into each other. I've been operating on roughly 4-6 hrs of sleep each night. Six hours is actually pretty generous. I think I got about 6 hours Sunday night. I think my body has adjusted somewhat to the amount of sleep I have been getting. I am going to try to sleep in a little bit this weekend.

And what's on tap for the weekend? I really don't know. I'd like to tackle the C++ assignment. I also should get a start on the XML project assignment. Maybe, if things work out, I might go to the Hash on Sunday. I need to take some action shots for the camera class. Maybe I'll come across some photo-ops on the Hash. Other than that, eh.

Next social event? I was thinking of a little wonton making party. I haven't quite decided on when to have this. I might try to do this after the last C++ and XML class. At least that way I don't have to worry about too many things on a weekend.

And speaking of social, no, I don't think there's been that much progress in my social life. It seems that the person of interest is turning out to be a bit of a slow burn. Maybe I'm trying too hard to look for signs and becoming a little frustrated as a result. Maybe this is a sort of evaluation period where he's still checking things out. I don't know. Maybe I should just sort of nudge things along without making it too obvious. I was thinking of perhaps asking if he would be interested in catching a movie or something this weekend. Ahh! But that requires a bit of courage... :-p

No comments: