Friday, October 17, 2008

ToTM

Warning: This might be TMI for any male readers. And I know of at least one guy who reads this blog! ;-)

If there's one thing I hate and that's that time of the month. :p For me, the symptoms are never the same thing twice. Some months I might be perfectly fine. Other times, I could be a total bitch about stuff. For sure, I very rarely get cramps. Bloating? Well, I think that happens when I least want it to. Cravings... Yes, sometimes I do feel like eating more. I usually have a headache on of the days. One thing for sure is that I want to sleep more. That's one things that's fairly consistent each time.

Anyway...

So I went yesterday with Melissa to look for a Medieval outfit for a friend's wedding on Halloween. After Googling and checking out the websites of a couple of places, I decided to visit one costume shop located near the Old Port. The place has 3 floors of stuff! The main floor had accessories, wigs, masks and some costumes for sale. The 2nd and 3rd floor were all costumes they had for rent.

After poking around a bit, we found the rack where the Medieval outfits for women were. One of the first dresses I pulled out was a light blue dress made of some polyester material. The style was more or less what I was looking for. Poking around some more, I found a nice burgundy colored dress of similar style. But this was of a more velvety material. There was some gold colored threading in the trim. I tried on both. The blue one would need some altering, but the color and the material really did not look all that flattering on me. :-p The burgundy one fit very nicely, however. There did not seem to be a need to make any alterations at all. The dress came right down almost to the floor.

I guess the dress is styled similar to this but the sleeves are not as flared and the pattern in the fabric is not as plain. When I tried it on, it was definitely more flattering than the light blue one.

For accessories, we found a pearled tiara type thing. Rental of the outfit cost about $100. I would pick it up the Wednesday before Halloween and I'd have to return it the Monday after. This worked out perfectly as I will be flying to TO Friday and returning Sunday.

After that was done and we had grabbed some dinner in Chinatown, I decided that I needed shoes. I really don't have any dress shoes that I could wear with the dress. And I wanted to find something with a slight heel since the dress came down to the floor. So the quest for shoes began.

We headed towards downtown. We first checked out an Aldo, but they didn't have anything I liked with heels that wouldn't kill me. Next was the Bay. Nope. Nothing there either. Then we checked out some of the shoe places at Eaton Centre. Bingo! Found a pair of Clark's that were comfy and not too high in the heel. So the shoes were found and bought.

The one thing that depressed me about shopping is whenever I wanted to shop for clothes. I can never prescribe to the latest trends. We had stopped by an H&M to look at what they had. Melissa found a cute, cropped argyle sweater. She wanted me to try that with a white shirt. So I did. Went to the dressing room to try it on. I came out of there very depressed. *sigh* Well, so much for me wanting to try something on stylish. :p

Let's face it. I have some tummy bulge issues to deal with. At my age, it won't be easy. Short of starving myself, it will take some effort to lose it. Diet-wise, I think I have been pretty good about not eating too much junk food or high fat foods. However, I think portion size is still an issue. At the same time, I have been working out a bit more. I have been working on toning and strengthening some muscles, so it's possible some of the weight is muscle weight. In any case, I need to make more of an effort to lose the love handles (I don't know what's to love in them). :-p

I think I should go back to sleep. The cat thinks it's time to be fed.

3 comments:

Phaedra said...

As we get older, as women, we tend to hold weight there, for babymaking purposes(even if we don't plan on having any). Diet is about 80% key,and the rest being cardio. Don't starve yourself, just eat nothing white - bread, muffins, sugar, pasta, anything processed. Also try not to eat 4 hours before bedtime(if you are hungry, have a hot cup of lemon water, it quells the hunger pangs, and is good for your digestion) And lots of cardio - at least 45 min sessions 3-5x a week.

Hope this heps...I know all about it, as I've had a lifetime struggle...

and I have cramps today too :(

boobookitty said...

Oh, how I love pasta! I started to put sugar in my coffee some days. I should cut it out again. And since I have the Wii Fit, I should work that in on days when I don't have my cardio class.

Mandy said...

Oh I am so happy you found a costume! *does a little dance* I can't wait to see you in it, I'll bet you will look awesome!