Saturday, November 18, 2006

Risks and Life

I've been doing some thinking today. Alright, you can stop snickering. I do think on occasion!

I've been thinking a bit about life and how we get to where we are today. It's obvious that somewhere along the way we have to make a choice that would define the direction that we take. One option might be considered safe and predictable. The other is more likely to be one with a certain amount of risk.

So how often do we choose the path with some amount of risk? Do we ever regret making the risky decision? Or have there been any thoughts about "What if" after having taken the safer path?

I guess it's somewhat a philosophical and self-reflecting thing to think about. How have the decisions you made shaped you as a person? If you were always making the safe choice, what does that say about you as a person? The same if you were always taking the risky road. I am sure there are those of you who have made both safe and risky decisions.

There are some websites that offer some sort of personality tests. I don't know how accurate they are in evaluating the type of risk taker you are. But even if you were know what sort of person you are when it comes to taking risks, would that change how you would make your decisions?

I guess another thing to think about is what exactly influences the way you make your decisions? Some safe choices may be due to some past experience (lessons learned). Some risky choices could be because there is a sense of excitement or adventure behind it. Our curious nature could be the driving force behind some of the riskier decisions. In other cases, perhaps the risk is taken as a means to escape from what is deemed safe.

Whatever the case may be, I find it interesting to reflect back upon decisions made. I try not to look upon them with any regret since the past cannot be changed. However, I look back at my decisions to see how I might move forward. :-)

Yes, I am an enginerd...

No comments: