Monday, August 06, 2007

The Weekend That Was

Well, the photo meetup that was scheduled for Saturday was cancelled. One of the girls in the group called to see if I was interested in still going anyway. I felt bad that I didn't get back to her. In the end I really didn't do much on Saturday. However, I did catch up on some cleaning and stuff. Let me tell you that some stuff was long overdue. *sigh* I'm not sure what to do with my ailing Roomba. It hasn't been very healthy since I left for Italy. I don't know what's causing it, but I've been without it for about 2 months now :(

Anyway.. If I don't want to sink any money into a new Roomba, or to even repair this one, I might need to invest in a good vacuum. The one I have now just isn't cutting it. I might check out the Sears website and see what they have to offer there. Aside from that I think I have been pretty good about spending as of late. I think the last thing I ordered online were a couple of cookbooks on healthier cooking and a CD.

This week for food, I found a recipe for a beef and pasta bake in one of the heart-healthy cookbooks. I made it last night. There's enough for an army! I guess that will be lunch and dinner for the rest of the week. I've also got fixings for salad, that that should work out. I picked up some plums and nectarines. I think yesterday's grocery bill came out to something like 70-80 bucks. Not bad, but I did buy like 2 pounds of extra lean ground beef. The organic celery was about $2.99. The grated parmesan was about $4.99. However, I think that when it comes to food, there are some things you don't really want to skimp too much on.

For this recipe, I was impressed with the low sodium count on it. I don't remember what the calorie count was, but using extra lean beef and part-skim mozzarella helps. For a bit of zing I tossed in some chili pepper flakes. No extra salt was added to the dish. I finished cooking it a bit late last night. After dishing out portions into plastic containers, there was just one portion left and no more containers. so I figure I might as well sample what I just made. And it was good. :)

This morning is rather dreary. Right now there are passing thundertorms. The skies are very dark. It almost seems like early evening, not morning! Bleah! :p

No comments: