Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Aural Sensations

What have I been listening to today?

  • Elvis Costello

  • Dire Straits

  • Bettie Serveert


I seem to be in the mood to listening to some "older" stuff from the 80's and 90's. Otherwise, if I just want to listen to something for the sake of just listening to something in the background then I might open up either XTC Radio or Proton Radio which could both be picked up via iTunes Radio under electronica. I like this kind of music sometimes. It's the kind I like playing in the background if I am not in the mood for anything in particular.

Other recent aural sensations: The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, the Offspring.

I used to be so into my music when I was in high school. The local music scene in Boston was quite big at the time (the 80's). I really did not like the Top 40 crap that was playing on the radio. Thus, I built up a craving for indie or alternative music. I discovered during this time some "older" groups like The Pretenders, the Kinks and the Clash (ok, they did release some stuff in the 80's).

During my university years, my attention to music waned a bit for obvious reasons. However, I tried to stay on top of what was coming out. After graduation, it really took a bit of a turn because I had to start looking for a job to pay for college. :-p

These days, the occasional movie with a really great soundtrack is what gets my attention. Off the top of my head, the music used in "High Fidelity" grabbed my attention. There was an interesting quote they took directly from the book and used in the movie. Unfortunately, I have to look it up since I can't remember it verbatim. :->

No comments: