Tuesday, July 18, 2006

To fling or not to fling

At some point, when I started to peruse the sites, I had it in my head that I should just maybe look for a summer fling. I don't think I'm ready for anything serious just yet.

So, what if there is someone that seems to catch my eye for whatever reason? Should I still apply the fling rule? Or should I just take it as it comes and see what happens? I guess the gist of the matter is that I don't want any serious commitments at the moment. Isn't that what dating is about? Actually, just what is the difference between dating and a relationship?

That's my question since Lavalife gives you the choice of advertising your wares in three different areas: Dating, Relationship, Intimate. So what exactly is the difference between Dating and Relationship? The Intimate encounters section is pretty obvious.

Here's what I think... You date if you're not ready for a serious commitment. However, if things click in a certain way, maybe it could become something more serious. Also, with dating, you are not committed to just one person. However, if you so choose, you could date monogamously or not, although I tend to think most people date more than one person at a time.

Relationships, on the other hand, require that monogamous commitment. You start seeing someone exclusively. However, how can you start a potential relationship without dating first? Hmmm...

No comments: