Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cooking For One - 101

Something I have to re-learn is how to cook fewer servings. I have gotten used to cooking enough for two with leftovers for lunch. However, as my brother has been insisting, leftovers are not nutritionally as good the next day. I don't know if there is any scientific proof of this, but anyway I suppose it's best not to have too much left over. From past experience, sometimes the left overs stick around longer than intended. ;-)

One sure bet recipe that I like to make is fried rice. This version of mine is so easy to make. Usually, fried rice is made with cold, leftover rice. This is because the rice would be more individual and not as sticky. I usually just cook up a fresh portion of rice for this. Other than rice, the standard additions are scrambled egg, green peas (usually frozen) and some sort of meat diced up (I usually use Chinese sausage or bbq pork). Some variations to this could be diced carrots, chopped onions, diced shrimp, chopped scallions (added towards the end). The combinations of ingredients for fried rice is endless. As for proportions, I'v never meaasured. I usually eye-ball it and toss it in.

Basic recipe:

1 cup uncooked white rice (NOT UNCLE BEN'S!!!)
2-3 eggs scrambled (not moist scrambled, but a more well-cooked scrambled)
~1/2 cup frozen peas
~1 cup diced meat (ham, shrimp, chicken, or any combination thereof)
oyster sauce
hot sauce
pepper

Cook rice in a rice cooker or according to instructions. When cooking process is done and rice is steaming, the eggs should be scrambled and set aside. Heat pan or wok with a little oil, add meat and stir-fry for about a minute. Toss in peas which have been defrosted under water and drained. After stir-frying this for another minute or so, add the cooked rice. Stir-fry to combine all together and evenly. Add seasonings: pepper to taste, a bloop of oyster sauce, a dash of hot sauce. Continue to stir-fry for a few more minutes. Add back in the scrambled eggs and combine.

The instructions above may be a little flaky, but this is a product of my improv style of cooking. :-) Most everyday cooking I do are not based on a recipe. Some more specialized dishes I would use a recipe just because it's handy (like Ponzu Shrimp and Soba in Spicy Peanut Sauce).


Currently listening to: Elvis Costello

No comments: