Friday, January 12, 2007

Bursting a bubble

How does one go about bursting the bubble that encapsulates a person's little world?

There is a friend, whom I'll call Kitty, who needs to go beyond the confines of her little world. Another friend and I agree that she's become too dependent upon those that are part of her little world. At the same time, it seems that her circle of friends are all of a similar background culturally. As a result, we feel that she will never become an independent person.

I cannot think of any time when she hasn't already got plans to do things with this small circle of friends. Whenever we want her to join us for something, she's always got some friend's birthday dinner or some sort of practice that she has to attend. In fact, just because there is a person's birthday around a certain weekend a month away, she's already pretty sure there'd be some sort of event for it.

Oh, did I mention that she still lives at home? Yes, she is over 30 and still lives at home with her parents. I don't think that it's because she can't afford to move out. I don't think she's ever really developed a sense of independence. Sure she's gone away on trips for work, but that's not quite the same as living on your own for more than a couple of months.

Another thing about her is that it seems that she's always checking to see who's going to be at certain events before she decides if she's going to go. I get the feeling that she doesn't do too well around total strangers. This brings me to another subject: her social skills and tact could stand some improvement. On occasion she will say things that seem to be blurted out without giving any real thought as to the impact of her statement on people.

In any case, she still seems to have a certain naivity about her. At times she seems to display ignorance about some things. It could be her way to avoid certain subjects? Who knows. My friend and I want to break her bubble. We'll think of something... ;-)

No comments: