Monday, January 22, 2007

Life and Death Decisions...

Finster - Diabetic Kitty
As a pet owner, there comes a time when one needs to make one of the most difficult decisions in their life. When a beloved pet becomes very ill the decision needs to be made as to how soon or later the beloved pet will depart from this world.

This evening, I brought my Finster to the vet to have him checked out because he was losing his appetite. It seems that he has lost yet another 2 pounds. The vet was able to get a urine sample from him. It seems that his kidneys are failing. Given that Finster is also diabetic, it does not help matters. His blood sugar has been fluctating. He's also got a heart murmur.

So, in a nutshell, if I decide to have him treated, it's only going to prolong the inevitable. According to the vet, we would only be patching things. I also think that to prolong his life like this is selfish of me and unfair for the both of us.
Finster
Finster has had a good 15 year run. He was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 8. I knew the day would come when the decision had to be made. I just kept it way, way back in the back of my mind. Now it's been pushed out into the front. I have to face this reality soon. I know it won't be pleasant. I know I will need some moral support. When I have this done, it would have to be this weekend first thing in the morning. Then I have the rest of the weekend to try to recuperate.
Finster bares all.
It just sucks knowing that this needs to be done. :(

No comments: