Friday, December 29, 2006

IKEA Disciple

I can't remember anymore, but I might have mentioned that I was perusing the IKEA website to see what I can get. I've been in the mood for a little redecorating/freshening up of my place. There's an old, black IKEA dresser that could be retired (or sold at work) and be replaced with something nicer. Since I got rid of the stationary bike, I needed something to warm up the bedroom area. Anyway, to sum it all up, I went to IKEA first thing in Thursday morning.

However, I needed to go to the SAQ first. The party is BYOB. Mark has also mentioned last night that he forgot to get something and that if I could get something for him since I was planning to go there anyway. Not a problem.

I had checked Wednesday night and the SAQ opened at 9:30AM. IKEA opened at 10:00AM. PERFECT! So I got up and headed off to the SAQ first. I found what looked to be a decent Spanish red wine. For Mark (he wanted to pick up a sherry), I found a bottle of Spanish sherry. Then, I went straight to IKEA just as they were opening.

Being the anal person on occasion, I actually put together a list of items I wanted to get at IKEA. I meandered through their maze and made note of where the items could be picked up. The only thing they didn't have in stock were the adjustable legs for the table top I was getting. They did, however, have adjustable folding legs. It was a little more expensive, but the folding aspect of it was an added convenience.

When it came time to pick up the items, the one box that was incredibly heavy was the one for the chest of drawers. Somehow, I managed to convince it onto the cart. After checking out, the tricky part was getting eveyrthing into the car! The cashier said I should be able to find an IKEA person out in the lot to give me a hand. I saw one woman walking back and forth patrolling the lot. I managed to get her attention and asked if she could help find someone to give me a hand. She did find someone. Apparently, they're only suppose to assist when you're by the docking area. Oh well. But he was friendly enough to help load everything into the car.

Once I got home I shlepped almost everything up myself. This required multiple trips. I live on the 3rd floor. There is no elevator. I think you get the picture. So for most of the day, I was putting together the table. That was a bitch and a half because there were no pre-drilled holes for the legs I got. There were pre-drilled holes for the other types of legs, but not these. :-p This meant I had to get out the power drill. Oooooh! It's cordless and the batteries had to be charged. Phooey. Oh well, there was enough juice after about an hour of charging to get the work done.

I had earlier asked Mark to give me a hand with the heavier item. So when he came by to pick me up for the party, we both managed to lug the bloody thing all the way up and up to the mezzanine. F* it was heavy!!

The party was pretty good. I had a good time. It was a tapas party so there were all sorts of nibbles there. There were some people there who were from work, but from different departments. Got to see someone I hadn't seen in a long time. Got to know the name of this one guy who frequented the espresso machine at work. A good time was had by all. I think we finally left at about 3:30AM. By then, I was having a good buzz from some mixed drinks someone was making. However, I will say that I find tequila pretty nasty stuff. Even when it's mixed with other stuff! Wooof!

I think I managed to sleep only a few hours until the cats started to bother me and it was just getting too bright. :-p So I eventually got up, showered, had an espresso and some cereal. Then the challenge to put together the heavy chest of drawers.

I think it took me a good 2.5 hours to put the thing together. Then it took me another hour to find good spot for it. Since the top was a fold up mirror, it needed clearance. Part of the room has a slope from the roof, so the mirror would hit it. I finally found a spot. I emptied out the smaller black chest of drawers and set that aside. I'll have to post some stuff for sale at work.

I guess I should get some stuff taken care of tomorrow. I'm not sure if I will be doing anything for NYE. Maybe get some sleep? :)

No comments: