Saturday, December 30, 2006

Supermarket Rant

Usually, I don't mind going to the supermarket. I try to make a list of what I need to buy. I think the issue I had today was going to one of these "big box" supermarkets that carries lots of the common items but not enough or none at all of other stuff.

Take for example herbs. I'm planning on making a roast chicken tomorrow. It will be seasoned with an herbed butter. I wanted to find some fresh thyme and sage. What did I find at this store? Lots of parsley, dill and coriander. Oh, and some mint. Aside from that, not much else. *sigh* I guess I will have no choice but to make another trip tomorrow morning to another supermarket. But this is soooo annoying! Why should I have to trek to more than one place to do my grocery shopping? Why are some of these large supermarkets selling FURNITURE??? Isn't some of this space better used to sell grocery items?? I just don't understand it sometimes. If it weren't for the snowy weather we have today, I probably would have trekked over to the other store. But then, being Saturday, it would have been very busy. I hate crowded supermarkets.

So for dinner tonight, I think I will make chicken tikka masala. I bought a jar of Patak's cooking sauce. Probably throw in some carrots and potatoes into the mix.

Tomorrow, as mentioned, a nice roast chicken and maybe some roasted potatoes to go with it. I found a yummy looking recipe for a pasta bake, which I will probably make on Monday. Then, Tuesday, I will prepare a slow cooker recipe for beef and barley stew. Yes, there will be leftovers, but that's where lunch will be coming from! And some will end up in the freezer.

I'd like to try to free up some of the evening time for other things. Since I'm just cooking for one, do I really need to cook every night?

No comments: